For a batch of waffle mix:
- 6 cups white whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
For the waffles (about 4, 8-inch Belgian-style waffles):
For the waffle mix:
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Transfer the mix to an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months.
For the waffles:
- Preheat a waffle iron and lightly grease with oil or cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the waffle mix, egg, milk, and melted butter and whisk just until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared waffle iron and cook until brown and crisp.
- Enjoy hot, or cool waffles completely on a wire rack and freeze in freezer bags for up to 4 months. Reheat frozen waffles in a toaster oven (or break waffle into sections for a standard toaster,) and toast until warmed through and crisp on the outside.