Lemon Curd Waffles
Sweet waffles topped with lemon curd are a bright weekend brunch idea.
Total Time 30M
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup grated lemon peel
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons Darigold butter (cut into ½-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon Darigold heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour (all-purpose flour may be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups Darigold buttermilk
- ½ cup (1 stick) Darigold butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (optional)
- Whipped Darigold heavy cream
- Lemon Curd (recipe follows)
- Raspberries (optional)
Lemon Curd (Make first)
- Make a double boiler by simmering 2 inches of water in a medium saucepan.
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk together 4 egg yolks, ½ cup sugar, ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice, ¼ cup grated lemon peel and ⅛ teaspoon salt.
- Set the bowl over the simmering (not boiling) pan of water. (Water should not touch bottom of bowl.)
- Whisk constantly until the mixture reaches 170°F. (The mixture should thicken and form ribbons when the whisk is lifted from the bowl.)
- Immediately add 6 tablespoons Darigold butter (cut into ½-inch pieces), 1 tablespoon Darigold heavy cream and ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract; whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Place in a covered container and refrigerate.
Makes about 1½ cups.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter, eggs and lemon peel.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, just until blended.
- Spoon batter onto hot waffle iron.
- Cook until crisp and brown; keep warm and set aside. Serve with whipped cream, lemon curd and raspberries.