- 16 ounces uncooked macaroni noodles
- 16 ounces fresh or frozen butternut squash, chopped into ½” pieces (see notes)
- 4 ¼ cups water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted Darigold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- 1 cup Darigold FIT milk
- 8 ounces (3 cups) freshly shredded Darigold Colby Jack and/or White Cheddar cheese
Butternut squash: You can use either fresh or frozen squash; pieces should be ½” or smaller to ensure they will be cooked through
- Combine macaroni, butternut squash, water, butter, and salt in the Instant Pot/electric pressure cooker and stir well. Secure the lid, making sure the vent is in the sealing position, and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 4 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle has finished, wait 1 minute and then quick-release the steam. Remove the lid.
- Using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, stir until well incorporated, mashing larger pieces of squash with the back of the spoon or spatula.
- Once stirred, set the Instant Pot/electric pressure cooker to SAUTE — LOW. Add the flour, cheese, and milk and stir, until the liquid has thickened and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste with additional salt and/or freshly ground black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.