- 2 tablespoons Darigold butter
- 4 green onions, white and light green parts thinly sliced, dark green tops reserved
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¾ teaspoon dried fennel seed
- 1 can (28 oz.) plum tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ cup Darigold heavy cream OR Darigold half-and-half (use whichever is in your fridge)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the sliced green onions, garlic and fennel seed and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onions are softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes with juice, broth, sugar, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered about 20 minutes, or until the soup has thickened.
- Stir in the cream and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender, or carefully transfer to a blender in batches and blend until smooth.
Ladle the soup into bowls. Thinly slice the reserved green-onion tops and sprinkle over the soup.