- 2 cups flour
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional for sprinkling
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) Darigold butter, softened
- 8 oz. Darigold Sharp White cheddar cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Add flour, salt, baking powder and cayenne to the bowl of a food processor; pulse to combine.
- Add the butter and cheese and pulse until well mixed. Add 3 tablespoons of ice water and pulse until mixture starts to hold together; add additional water if necessary.
- Divide the dough in half, form into 2 discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze 20 minutes.
- Using one disc at a time, roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to ⅛-inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into ¾-inch strips (for small crackers) or 2-inch strips (for large crackers) with a fluted pastry wheel. (A pizza cutter or sharp knife may be substituted.) Cut the dough crosswise to make ¾-inch or 2-inch squares. Poke a hole in each with the bottom of a skewer or other pointed object and place squares on a baking sheet lined with parchment; freeze until firm (10-15 minutes). Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Remove one baking sheet from the freezer; brush the dough with the egg and sprinkle with salt.
- Gently separate crackers on baking sheet, leaving space between each cracker.
- Bake at 350°F 15 to 18 minutes, or until puffed and crisp.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and repeat with the remaining dough. Store crackers in airtight containers at room temperature.
Makes roughly 20 dozen small crackers.