Commitment & Strategy
Commitment to social responsibility is ingrained in us as a 100-year-old, farmer-founded, Northwest cooperative. Today that historical commitment is strengthened by measuring the specific impacts of the dairy supply chain. Measurement gives us the opportunity to assess how we are doing and continuously improve.
Cooperative Social Responsibility Commitment & Strategy
Our Cooperative Social Responsibility (CSR) commitment was formalized to ensure we are performing well and meeting our goals of constant improvement in:
- Ensuring the highest quality products for our customers.
- Striving to reduce energy and water consumption and increase resource efficiency in our processing plants.
- Working to improve safety.
- Being a good neighbor.
- Giving back to our communities.
All these have been core to Darigold’s values and to our management practices since our cooperative was founded 100 years ago. Darigold’s primary purpose is to provide nutrition for families around the world while building prosperity for our farmer-owners.
We are committed to accomplishing our CSR goals in a responsible way in every step of our value chain:
- In the nutritional value and high quality of our dairy products.
- In encouraging rigorous animal care, environmental stewardship and responsible labor management on our members’ farms.
- In how we strive for efficient and environmentally sound operations in our processing plants, transportation practices, and packaging design.
- In the safety standards of our work environment and caring for employees.
- In how we give back to the communities where we live and work through financial, product and volunteer time donations.
- In our leadership in the dairy industry.
About Darigold’s CSR and Sustainability Reporting
Our first two Cooperative Social Responsibility (CSR) Reports, Nourishing Our Future in 2010 and Keeping Our Promise in 2012, highlighted a commitment to sustainability on the part of Darigold and of our cooperative farmer-owners, the Northwest Dairy Association (NDA). Darigold is 100% owned by the members of NDA.
Our goal is to provide an authentic, transparent picture of our sustainability journey. We describe our initiatives and accomplishments, but also the challenges we are encountering along the way.
Our CSR reporting generally references the Global Reporting Initiative GRI G4 guidelines (the de facto worldwide sustainability reporting standard) and includes many of their suggested indicators.