Dungeness Quesadillas with Charred Tomato Salsa and Buttermilk Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces fresh Dungeness crab meat
- 4 ounces artichoke hearts (packed in water), drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 4 (6- to 8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup clarified butter
- Charred Tomato Salsa (recipe follows)
- Buttermilk Dressing (recipe follows)
CHARRED TOMATO SALSA
- 12 small teardrop tomato halves cut side-down
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Serrano chile
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup Darigold buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Darigold sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 fresh lime
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Combine mayonnaise, crab meat, artichoke hearts, Parmesan cheese, onion and parsley in a medium-size mixing bowl and mix well. Divide crab mixture into four portions and spread on half of each tortilla. Top with Cheddar cheese and fold remaining half of tortilla over filling. (At this point, quesadilla may be covered and held in refrigerator up to 4 hours until ready to serve.) Heat skillet or griddle over medium heat. Brush skillet with butter; place crab-filled tortilla in skillet and cook 2 minutes or until bottom is golden. Turn and cook second side until golden. Repeat with remaining filled quesadillas. Cut quesadillas into quarters and arrange on plates; top each slice with Charred Tomato Salsa and a dollop of Buttermilk Dressing. Serve hot.
CHARRED TOMATO SALSA
Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Place 12 small teardrop tomato halves cut-side-down in skillet and cook until slightly blackened. Toss tomatoes with 1/4 cup finely chopped Serrano chile and 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic. Stir in 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro, 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
Makes about 1 cup salsa.
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 1 cup.
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE
Makes 4 servings.