Chicken Satays With Peanut Sauce
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts, skinned and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup (8 oz.) Darigold Plain Lowfat Yogurt
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Sliced cucumbers in rice wine vinegar as accompaniment (optional)
Whisk the marinade ingredients together. Add the cubed chicken and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally to keep pieces well coated.
To make the peanut sauce, first heat the peanut butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the boiling water, then stir in the garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce, red pepper and molasses. Bring the mixture to a boil and whisk until it thickens - about 2 minutes. Adjust taste if desired. Pour into a serving dish.
Thread the chicken cubes onto skewers. Grill the cubes over hot coals, turning them several times, for 8 minutes. Broiling may take as long as 15 minutes - about 4 minutes for each side. To test for doneness, make a small cut in a chicken cube to see whether its center has turned from pink to white. Arrange satays on a platter and serve sauce separately. If desired, accompany with cucumbers in rice wine vinegar.
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE