Mac 'n' Cheese
- ½ cup (1 stick) Darigold butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Darigold milk, heated but not boiled
- 6 cups (24 oz.) shredded Darigold Cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb.large elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- ½ cup Darigold whipping cream
- ¼ cup fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder or hot paprika, to top
- Fresh chopped parsley as garnish (optional)
Melt butter in a heavy, large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour and cook about 4 minutes, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Gradually whisk in hot milk, about one cup at a time, and cook, whisking constantly until sauce is bubbly and thickens (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat; add Cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in hot pepper sauce and ground black pepper.
Combine cheese mixture and cooked macaroni in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour cream over the macaroni and cheese. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and chili powder or hot paprika; sprinkle over top of macaroni mixture. Bake at 375° F. 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Garnish with parsley and serve.
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE
Makes 8 to 10 servings.