Mac and Cheese with Chard and Sweet Onions
- ¾ cup (1½sticks) Darigold butter, divided
- 1 large Walla Walla or other sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ½ pound Swiss chard, stems and center ribs removed, leaves chopped
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 cups Darigold milk, heated until hot
- 4 cups shredded Darigold cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (like Tabasco)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lb. short pasta, like elbow macaroni
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
Melt 1 stick butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until softened and golden (about 8 minutes). With a slotted spoon, remove to a bowl and set aside. Add the chard to the skillet and increase heat to medium-high. Stir until wilted, season with salt and pepper, and transfer to another bowl.
Add the remaining butter to the skillet and heat until melted. Stir in the flour and cook until blended, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook, whisking constantly until sauce is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat; add cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Stir in hot sauce and ground black pepper; season with salt.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta, salt to taste, and cook until al dente. Drain and add the pasta to the cheese sauce; stir to mix.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Spoon half the pasta mixture into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish; layer with onions and chard. Top with remaining pasta and Parmesan and cover with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Turn the heat up to 475°F., remove foil and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, or until lightly browned.
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE
Makes 8 to 10 servings.