- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1-1/2 pounds shredded, cooked chicken
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup Darigold Small Curd Cottage Cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cans (12 ounce ea.) tomatillos, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh jalapeno peppers
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Darigold sour cream
Pour 1 to 2 inches of oil into heavy frying pan and heat to 350°F; add tortillas in batches, to hot oil and fry until crisp; drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt and set aside. Combine chicken, 1-1/4 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese, green onions, salt and pepper in medium mixing bowl; stir gently to mix, then set aside. Place tomatillos, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, garlic and cumin in food processor; process until pureed. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Gently stir tomatillo mixture into chicken mixture. Place mixture in bottom of 13x9x2-inch baking pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange fried corn tortillas on top of chicken mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese. Cover pan with foil and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes; uncover for final 10 minutes of baking.
Top each serving with a cilantro sprig and a generous tablespoon of sour cream.
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE
Makes 6-8 servings.