Cauliflower Waffles with Sautéed Spinach and Roasted Pancetta
- Roasted pancetta rounds (recipe follows)
- Sautéed spinach (recipe follows)
- 6 cups grated cauliflower
- 2 cups grated Darigold sharp-cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped chives, plus flowers for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Korean red pepper (Gochujang) sauce, or other hot sauce
ROASTED PANCETTA: Preheat oven to 425°F. Place 4 thin slices of pancetta on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake until browned and crisp (about 8 minutes). Keep warm and set aside.
SAUTÉED SPINACH: Heat ¼ cup water and salt to taste in a large skillet. Cook 2 bunches spinach just until wilted; drain. Squeeze out as much moisture as possible, coarsely chop and set aside. Wipe skillet with paper towel. Add 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, three garlic cloves (peeled and left whole) and a pinch of red pepper flakes to skillet and cook until garlic is golden. Add spinach and cook just until heated through; season with salt and pepper. Keep warm and set aside.
Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions and brush with oil (or use non-stick cooking spray). Spoon batter onto waffle iron. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions until crisp and brown (4 - 5 minutes). Transfer to a baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter. Top with spinach and pancetta.
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE
Makes 4 servings.