Chipotle Cream With Shrimp
- 1 pound large shrimp (16/lb)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) Darigold butter, divided
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo, pureed or chopped fine
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of one lime
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups Darigold heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Darigold Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Peel and devein shrimp, if needed, and set aside. Heat two tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Add onions and garlic; sauté over medium heat until onions are translucent (about two minutes). Add the chipotle puree and cilantro, stir to mix; deglaze with lime juice. Stir in paprika, salt and pepper; add the heavy cream. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Whisk in the cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until the cheese is fully incorporated (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat and cool. Store in refrigerator until ready to use. (Sauce will keep for up to two weeks.) Serving suggestion: use as a sauce in pasta dishes.
To cook shrimp: Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat two tablespoons butter in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Add shrimp and sear on each side; cover with Chipotle Cream. Bake in the oven until the shrimp are done (3-5 minutes). Garnish with Pico de Gallo* and serve with bread.
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
(Recipe contributed by Ryan Donaldson, Owner/Chef, The Stone House, Redmond, Washington)
*Pico de Gallo is a fresh, uncooked salsa.