PB&J Protein Power Muffins
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinse according to package directions
- 1¾ cup Darigold milk, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons creamy reduced-fat peanut butter
- ¼ cup strawberry preserves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard 12-muffin tin with a nonstick cooking spray. In a medium sauce pan stir together quinoa and 1 cup milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 10-15 minutes until quinoa is tender and milk is absorbed.
In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine. In a medium bowl combine remaining milk, Greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla, and peanut butter and mix well. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in cooked quinoa. Divide batter among muffin cups. Drop a heaping 1/2 teaspoon of strawberry preserves into the center of each muffin tin on top of the batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes then serve with remaining 8-ounce glass of milk.
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE
Makes 6 servings (2 muffins per serving)
Pair each serving with an 8 oz. glass of milk.