Steamed Mussels Marinières
- 4 pounds fresh mussels
- 3 tablespoons Darigold butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (Muscadet, if available)
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Bouquet garni (instructions follow)*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Darigold whipping cream
Beard and scrub the mussels. In a large Dutch oven, combine the butter, wine, shallots, garlic, bouquet garni and pepper; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the mussels and cream, cover the pot tightly and cook over high heat, shaking the pot once or twice until the mussels open (about 5 minutes). Do not salt the mussels; they are naturally salty.
Discard any unopened mussels and the bouquet garni. Divide the mussels and broth into warm serving bowls and serve with a basket of crusty French baguette.
* To prepare bouquet garni, tie two sprigs each of thyme, parsley and tarragon, along with 2 bay leaves, with twine. Or, wrap in cheesecloth.
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE
Makes 4 servings.
Note from Chef Jacques Boiroux: Penn Cove mussels from nearby Whidbey Island are my preference.